History of lace
Throughout its history, the monastery has always been a recognizable and active part of the life of Pag, which was manifested in various ways. The Benedictine nuns of St. Margherita were the first teachers in the town and they founded the first school for girls where, for centuries, they taught girls how to read and write, educated them in the Christian spirit, and trained them in sewing lace free of charge. In the 16th century, the Benedictine nuns began in an organized manner to train women and girls in sewing lace, and in 1896, their school became a state school. In the Register of Protected Cultural Assets of the Republic of Croatia the lace from Pag is designated a masterpiece of the human creative genius, literally: “Pag lace, an intangible cultural asset whose origin and source are tied to the Benedictine monastery of St. Margherita in Pag.” The monastery of St. Margherita is one of the most important factors in lace making. It is from there that nuns went to Hvar where they transferred their skills and art.